Metal Architecture Home

Museums, Libraries and Cultural Centers

Copper Poetry

Designed to honor the poet Robert Burns, the original Burns Monument Center in Kay Park, Kilmarnock, Scotland, opened in 1879 and included a statue, ornamental building and museum. Built in Scottish Baronial style, the museum had two stories and a tower, with an overall height of 80 feet (24 m). After much of the monument was destroyed by fire in November 2004, the East Ayrshire Council Asset Improvement Service decided to build a new center around the remains to house all the registration services for births, marriages and deaths. Additionally, the new building offers conference facilities and features archives and a genealogy center that attracts many local history researchers and ancestral tourists.

The East Ayrshire Council appointed Hunter Clarke Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland, as the main contractor and specified copper Kalzip, as it would blend in well with the center’s natural stonework. More than 8,500 square feet (790 m2) of straight and tapered copper panels from Kalzip Inc., Michigan City, Ind., were installed on the complex roof.

Kalzip’s U.K. fabrications department manufactured and supplied a wide variety of bespoke copper flashings, including the bull-nosed fascias and specially designed louvers. Kalzip also supplied the roof liner and structural decking panels, and manufactured the membrane gutters, some of which were extensively facetted to suit the center’s tightly curved wall areas.

Burns Monument Center, Kay Park, Kilmarnock, Scotland
General contractor: Hunter Clark Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland
Roofing contractor: CDW Ltd., Glasgow
Metal roof panels: Kalzip Inc., Michigan City, Ind., www.kalzip.com