Metal Architecture Home

Museums, Libraries and Cultural Centers

Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park, Jackson, Calif.

In the early 1900s, four massive tailing wheels were used to lift mining waste slurry from the Kennedy Gold Mine stamp mill up 200 feet, over two hills to an impoundment dam to prevent the waste from reaching streams and creeks and polluting the valley floor.

In the early 1900s, four massive tailing wheels were used to lift mining waste slurry from the Kennedy Gold Mine stamp mill up 200 feet, over two hills to an impoundment dam to prevent the waste from reaching streams and creeks and polluting the valley floor.

The wood wheels were essential components of California's gold mining operation, and the State of California awarded a grant to the City of Jackson to preserve one at Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park by constructing a structure similar to those that originally housed the wheels. The tailing wheels are landmarks featured on the National Register of Historic Places and the Save the Wheel committee launched a campaign to preserve one of the two remaining Kennedy Tailing Wheels in 2012. The corrugated metal buildings built to enclose the four tailing wheels were removed and sold in 1942 when the mine closed, which left the wheels exposed to the elements.

Varco Pruden builder LGM Construction enclosed a 50-foot-tall wheel in a 2,176-square-foot, metal building designed by Varco Pruden Buildings. The structure is 57 feet tall with large window walls on each side to allow full views of the tailing wheel. The roof and walls were constructed with AEP Span's Nu-Wave insulated sandwich panels and Varco Pruden's Rigid Frame solid web framing was used to increase interior space. LGM Construction met sustainability guidelines and Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park reopened in fall 2013.

The tailing wheels were first constructed following a storm in January 1911 during which 20 inches of torrential rain propelled tons of mine waste downstream and caused nearby creek beds to overflow onto farms. Agriculture businesses in surrounding counties negotiated an agreement with mine owners that required them to impound waste by December 1914. The four mechanical tailing wheels were subsequently built at the Kennedy Gold Mine, now Kennedy Tailing Wheels Park, to lift mining waste slurry to an impoundment dam.

General contractor: LGM Construction, Jacksonville, Fla.

Metal building: Varco Pruden Buildings, Memphis, Tenn., www.vp.com

Metal roof and wall panels: AEP Span, Fontana, Calif., www.aep-span.com