The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is recognizing nine projects with its 2019 Institute Honor Awards for Architecture.
The award program celebrates the best contemporary architecture and highlights the many ways buildings and spaces can improve lives. AIA’s five-member jury selects submissions that demonstrate design achievement, including a sense of place and purpose, ecology, environmental sustainability and history.
Recipients for the 2019 Institute Honor Awards for Architecture are:
- Arlington Elementary School, Tacoma, Washington | Mahlum Architects
- Casey House, Toronto, Ontario Canada | Hariri Pontarini Architects
- Confluence Park, San Antonio | Lake | Flato Architects
- Crosstown Commons, Memphis, Tennessee | Looney Ricks Kiss
- Restoration of the Rotunda at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia | John G. Waite Associates, Architects, PLLC
- Smart Factory, Hoffman Estates, Illinois | Barkow Leibinger
- Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Washington | The Freelon Group (Now part of Perkins+Will), Adjaye Associates, Davis Brody Bond, and SmithGroup
- Starter Home* No. 4-15, Saint Thomas/Ninth, New Orleans | OJT
- TIRPITZ Museum, Blåvand, Denmark | BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group
Visit AIA’s website for more information on the Institute Honor Awards for Architecture.